Thursday, August 26, 2010

Porto Alegre - what was that street name again?


Having lived all of my life in California, I now know my way around Porto Alegre instinctively. A sort of survival instinct I must have developed as a child in order to return home if ever I was lost.   Save for perhaps a half dozen, I don’t know the names of any streets.  This morning I had a doctor’s appointment at a building at the corner of Mostardeiro and Miguel Tostes, I took public transportation there.   From my house it’s almost a straight line to my destination and these are streets familiar to me, I used to walk them as a child.

The problem is that I remember them as a child.  “Miguel Tostes” is meaningless to me.  I know that street as "the one with the Nacional supermarket where my grandmother used to shop".  Or if you prefer as “that street where they kept the historic old house in front and erected a large modern building behind it”.  My doctor’s office, by the way, is in that very building.
Since I couldn’t remember the name of the street I asked my mother, and she informed me that Miguel Tostes was actually a relative of mine.  He was a doctor and was married to my great grandmother’s sister. Well, I was impressed and surprised by the story. It's all fine and dandy, but the sad part is that tomorrow I won’t remember the name of the damned street!!! I should have learned these names when I was a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment