Sunday, August 29, 2010

Being a goddess is not easy

My min pin Titus used to think I could make the sun shine. Truly he did. On a cloudy day he would stand where the sun usually shone in the house and beg me to turn it on. It makes sense, I made heat when he was cold, I made cold when he was hot, I provided water and food, I made pain go away, I scratched impossible to reach places, I soothed in times of stress, I produced dog biscuits on demand, I came home with a roasted chicken in a bag, I produced a blanket on winter nights, I could open the front door, why then should I not turn on the sun? He always seemed a little disappointed when I failed to give him sun on cloudy days, and I always felt like a lesser deity for that failure. Being a goddess has its drawbacks. People never ascribe limitations to their gods and apparently neither do dogs. The difference is that I’m more powerful and infinitely more benevolent than any man-made god. Has god ever scratched behind your ear? – I thought not.

No comments:

Post a Comment