Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Killer Bonner

Part of this is a true story, I'll tell you which part at the end.

Mr. Keller is a successful television executive who is proud of his Scottish heritage and his family name. He is offered a position at the main TV station in Brazil, Globo TV. At first he hesitated, but he was assured that everyone at Globo spoke some English and move entailed a promotion and a significant raise so Mr. Keller relented. At the Antonio Carlos Jobim airport he was greeted by a driver who took him to his hotel. The same driver greeted him at the lobby the next morning and drove him to the TV station. There he smiled at the receptionist and introduced himself. She smiled back and told him in passable English that she would announce him. She picked up the phone, dialed and said "Mr. Bonner, Mr. Killer is here to see you."
She told him to go right in, he smiled at the mistake in pronunciation and whispered.
"By the way, it's 'Keller', and who am I meeting?"
"You will be meeting with Mr. Willian Bonner, he's the evening news anchorman."
"Bonner? William Bonner. Right..."
This time she corrected him ,"It's Willian, it ends with an n."
Keller enters the office at the end of the hall. There he is greeted by a handsome man who extends a hand and says in a strong Brazilian accent.
"Mr. Killer, hi, I'm glad to meet you, I'm Bonner."
Mr. Keller is now slightly put off at the mispronunciation of his name and asks.
"Bonner is it? Do I have it right? It's William Bonner?"
"Almost right, but I'm used to being called William by the English, it's Willian."
A correction was definitely in order here. Being called Killer is one thing but being called English would not do.
"I'm Scottish"
"Ah, yes, but it's all the same thing isn't it?"
Now, holding back his annoyance, Mr. Keller retorts.
"And my name is Keller, not killer."
"Isn't that what I said?" Bonner asks.
"You said killer, a killer is a murderer, my name is Keller"
"Killer not Killer. Ok I got it now."
Keller continued, "I'm sorry Mr. Bonner, they are spelled differently, one with an e the other with an i." And a little embarrassed about asking for the clarification again he adjoined "it is Bonner? isn't it?"
"Yes it is, that's right. Please sit down Killer"
"Maybe we could use our first names" said Mr. Keller, desperately looking for a solution to this absurd situation. "I'm Richard, Richard Keller"
"Well everyone calls me Bonner, but I'll call you Dick" said Bonner smiling. Bonner looked at Mr. Keller inquisitively and carefully pronounced the name
"Dick Killer...?"
Mr. Keller stood up, thanked Bonner for his time and left for the airport without stopping at the hotel to pick up his suitcase. Being called an English Dick Killer by a guy named Bonner was not worth the promotion or any amount of money.

The story is made up, but the anchorman for the national evening news in Brazil is in fact named Willian Bonner. I kid you not!

No comments:

Post a Comment