Friday, July 30, 2010

Morons Run Amuck

Here's the trouble with the internet, it gives every moronic imbecile out there a microphone. Hold the snide remarks, if you please, I'm not excluding myself from the category.

I came across list of the 20 classic movies you thought were overrated, http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20406056,00.html . And I will grant you that a few of them are in deed overrated, others don't belong on the list. To wit Citizen Kane, here is what the moron had to say about the movie:

Citizen Kane (1941)
I totally agree about Citizen Kane. Maybe it was too hyped before I saw it, but I found it a bit dull. Not to mention I have known what Rosebud was since I was 6 years old. — Ari

If you were to ask this Ari person what Rosebud was he would quickly and emphatically rejoin "It was his sled" because that is what a 6 year old would say, and apparently his ideas have not changed over time.

Ari, my new favorite moron, Rosebud wasn't his sled... it was the symbol of the sudden realization that with his last breath of life the wealthiest and most powerful man in the world realized that he had never been as happy as when he was a pauper and unknown. Rosebud is the sudden negation of an entire life. A life envied by all in the world that in a split second had become one not worth living. If you walked away from the movie saying "Rosebud was his sled" you missed the point and you don't have the mental acuity to judge the movie or even profess an opinion.

One more:
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Growing up, I loved watching old movies and heard this to be epic. Was never on TV, couldn’t find it to rent. Finally came on PBS, commercial-free. I was so excited. I fell asleep 3 times. Every time I woke up, just more walking on sand. — mlk

I can see someone disagreeing with the political bias in Lawrence of Arabia. If you were to tell me that the historic point of view in the story is one-sided and prejudiced and for that reason the movie is overrated, I might consider you opinion. But "I couldn't stay awake through it" is more of a commentary about your own ineptitude than about the movie. Poor baby, did your playstation joystick not work with the movie? How disappointing...

Morons run amuck. Before the internet you had to go to a frat party with more bongs than people in order to hear such drivel, now you need only go to EW.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment