Sunday, January 16, 2011

god's intentions are well known

The floods in Brazil have killed almost 600 people. The news coverage of the devastation is continuous. None of the Brazilian stations cover anything else.  It is a horrible situation and it is not my intention to diminish the extent of this tragedy in any way. But there are two comments I would like to make. 

First: The news channels have got to stop saying that the tragedy was caused of “excessive rain” or “heavy rainfall”, the rain is not to blame. They should instead be saying that the tragedy was caused by “faulty infrastructure”, “lack of infrastructure”, “lack of building inspections”, “illegal hillside construction” and “illegal deforestation”.  If the infrastructure had been anywhere near appropriate this would have been prevented.  Stop blaming the rain.

Second: Every victim interviewed says that “with the help of god I was able to get out alive”, “I prayed to god to hold back the waters so I could get out”, “with the god’s help I will rebuild”.  Excuse me! Who sent the water in the first place? There is an old joke about a guy who falls into a river and is being washed away by a fast current, he manages to hang on to a branch and pull himself out.  His friends run up to him and say “Joe, thank god you’re safe!” to which Joe responds “Thank god? No! Thanks to the branch! God’s intentions are well known.” It seems to me that god’s intentions are well known in this case. I suggest we fend for ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Good points.

    History repeats itself way too much here.

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete