Friday, September 3, 2010

The space between Julianne Moore’s thighs

I was pondering titles for this blog and that one made me laugh, so shamelessly and unabashedly, there it is.

Bulgari came out with some billboards featuring a scantily clad Julienne Moore surrounded by icons of the exotic and luxurious. I’m not Bulgari’s target audience and so in daily life I am as aware of their existence as they are of mine, and I am as concerned for their advertising as they are for my breakfast choices. Zilch! However, an article caught my eye, not because of Bulgari but rather because it commented on the reluctance of Venice’s mayor to post a Bulgai billboard on the Doge’s Palace. Since no billboard belongs anywhere near the Doge's Palace I clicked on the article and found an image of Julianne Moore reclined on a divan, naked, petting two lion cubs. Nudity doesn’t offend me. The current trend to airbrush women into distorted unrecognizable mutants does.
In this image, Julianne Moore’s thighs don’t meet! In order for her knees to meet at the angle portrayed in this picture, her pelvis would have to be a meter wide! What’s more, lion cubs don’t smile! The image prompted me to look at the other images in the series.


In this shot Julienne Moore had managed to show the camera the back of her left shoulder and the front of her hair draped right shoulder. Either Mrs. Moore counts contortionist among her many talents and charms, or she broke her collar bone and dislocated both shoulders for the shoot. What dedication!
How exactly does distorting women help to sell luxury products? I may not be the target audience for these ads. But I defy anyone looking at an image of a woman with two dislocated shoulders, a broken collar bone and missing the lower three vertebrae of her spine to think “wow, I need a new $3,000 purse”.

It makes you wonder if people who pay $7,000 for a purse have such a distorted image of the world that they actually prefer to see distorted people in advertising...

P.S what the hell is going on with her right hand? The bird is sitting on her right thumb and an unnatural growth on the palm of her hand.  It looks like she suffers from mild elephantiasis on her right hand, strange that we never noticed that in her movies.... good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment